For almost 30 years Vermont Compost has produced composts, potting soils, and eggs year-round and currently employs approximately twenty humans, a couple of hundred chickens, and a half dozen equines. If you are interested in joining our workforce as our business continues to grow and evolve, please send your résumé and a brief cover letter to Kurt Ericksen: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Job Openings
Sales and Customer Service Associate
The Sales and Customer Service Associate supports all tasks related to the sales department, while providing exceptional customer service to Vermont Compost Company clientele. This position will provide direct assistance to the management team in efforts to further enhance sales, and support Vermont Compost Company’s long-term business goals. Note: this position is currently operating remotely, so access to high-speed internet/home office space and ability to adapt to emergent remote training systems is a must.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Receive and respond to customer inquiries, manage customer data, and process orders & payments via Quickbooks Desktop
- Schedule and manage all customer pickups (via Excel/Google Sheets)
- Quote, hire, organize and troubleshoot outbound trucking
- Ensure excellent customer service and support
- Experience with data management systems: Excel, Google Suite, and Quickbooks (strongly preferred)
- Experience in sales, marketing, customer service, fulfilment, or logistics (strongly preferred)
- Highly organized with a keen attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong Interpersonal skills, with a positive outlook, and a sense of humor!
- Experience managing complex logistics
- Soil science, agronomy, and/or knowledge of organic fruit, vegetable, flower and/or hemp production a plus
Location and Schedule: Our main office operates out of our Montpelier, Vermont location, but this position is currently operating remotely. Vermont Compost is open Monday through Friday, 8am to 4pm.
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time, year-round, hourly position with compensation commensurate with experience. This position includes paid time off, 3% matching IRA, and some additional benefits.
Fulfilment & Operations Officer
The Fulfillment and Operations Officer plays a critical role in the distribution of our compost based products to farms and other wholesale buyers. This position coordinates with the Fulfillment manager to ensure the timely completion of all potting soil and compost orders while adhering to pertinent quality assurance standards along the way. This is an entry level position at Vermont Compost Company that provides room for financial and professional growth to candidates who are actively seeking to expand their skill set and take on additional responsibilities.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordinate with the Fulfillment department and Sales department to ensure all potting soil and compost orders are completed accurately, while maintaining the highest soil product quality standards
- Bag, build pallets and prepare for shipping all potting soil and compost orders
- Routinely operate heavy machinery in a safe and effective manner
- Greet and assist delivery drivers, vendors and customers
- Engage in regular site maintenance and care such as cleaning and organizing the shop, plowing snow, applying traction mix, greasing machinery and much more
- A positive attitude, flexibility and attention to detail
- Experience operating heavy machinery is ideal, but not required
- Ability to arrive on time and consistently work 8AM - 4PM
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly, over the course of the day
- Production based experience in a complex and fast paced environment
Location and Schedule: This position is based out of our Montpelier, Vermont location. Our offices are open Monday through Friday, 8am to 4pm, with occasional weekend work
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time, year-round, hourly position with compensation commensurate with experience. This position includes paid time off, 3% matching IRA, partial health insurance reimbursement and some additional benefits.